Total Pageviews

Friday, December 31, 2010

Finding New Year’s Resolutions in Psalms


A new year, a new set of goals for the coming seasons!  I’m a resolution maker, so I start each January with a bunch of promises: I will do this, I will do that, I will I will I will …

Will power?  Nah, I don’t have it.  That’s why I need the Lord’s will in my life.  When I use the words “I will,” they only have meaning when they’re in submission to His will.

I thought a fun way to set my resolutions for the coming year would be to turn to Scripture for the term “I will …” to see if it would guide me in His will for my 2011 goal-setting.  I turned to Psalms.  Here are the first ten “I will” statements from the single-digit Psalms, spread among seven verses that helped me set my resolutions for 2011:

Resolved: When feeling unloved, I’ll declare I am His child!

·         I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my son; this day have I begotten thee. (Psalm 2:7)


Resolved: When feeling frightened, I’ll find courage through Him alone!

·         I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about. (Psalm 3:6)


Resolved: When feeling turmoil, I’ll make Him my place of calm!

·         I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)


Resolved: When feeling alone, I’ll fellowship joyfully with my RL church!

·         But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple. (Psalm 5:7)


Resolved: In all things, I will praise His name!

·         I will praise the Lord according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the Lord most high. (Psalm 7:17)


Resolved: In all things, I will praise His works!

·         I will praise thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.  I will be glad and rejoice in thee. (Psalm 9:1-2)


These may be my best resolutions ever. J  Be it happy or sad, rich or poor, easy or hard, a year dedicated to His will and founded in His Word can only be right, despite its temporary trappings and passing hardships, passing triumphs.  To echo my SL pastor: May the Lord add His richest blessing to the reading of His Word.

And, I add, to the living of it.

Maran Atha,

Cosmic

1 comment:

  1. Oh, see those are much better than mine...that's why I don't make any.

    ReplyDelete