A Quick Scripture Quiz
Christmas will be here in no time! I love the old carol “We Three Kings,” but I also enjoy pointing out that there were, in fact, no kings in the collection of wise men who made their way to pay homage to young Jesus … and that three was the number of the major gifts they brought, not the number of magi in the group. Check Matthew 2: they weren’t kings, and there weren’t three of them. I’m such a spoilsport.
Can you pick out the real Bible verse from the imposters? Below I have groups of three verses, sayings, or stories. For each, only ONE in the group is actually found in the Scriptures. Give it a try! Some you may know easily. Others might stump you or call your attention to something new.
The answers are at the end, with exactly where to find the correct verses in the Bible. Good luck!
ONLY ONE IS IN THE BIBLE
1. a) "Live and let live."
b) "I escaped with the skin of my teeth."
c) "God helps those who help themselves."
2. a) "Do not boil a goat in its mother's milk."
b) "Do not boil water for washing your enemy's clothing."
c) "Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble."
3. a) Noah puts seven pairs of each clean animal on the ark.
b) Moses plays a miraculous harp to part the waters of the sea.
c) Solomon cuts a baby in half when two women argue about whose it is.
4. a) Children mock the King of Israel and are then drowned in warm oil.
b) A man is told by his father's ghost to avenge his murder by his uncle.
c) Children mock a prophet of Israel and get slaughtered by bears
5. a) A talking donkey saves a man's life.
b) A bird swoops into the palace and steals the queen's necklace.
c) A flying pig lands on Peter's dinner table and begs to be eaten.
6. a) A ghostly woman predicts the fall of the Roman empire.
b) A ghostly hand writes scary words on the Babylonian palace wall.
c) A ghostly voice declares only beautiful women in Israel will be saved.
7. a) God sends lions to scare a bad queen.
b) God sends monkeys to mock a bad queen.
c) God sends dogs to eat a bad queen.
8. a) The Israelites make a calf out of gold.
b) The Israelites make a unicorn out of silver.
c) The Israelites make a platypus out of bronze.
9. a) A tough guy throws a hundred enemies into a deep, deadly chasm.
b) A tough guy knocks down the walls of Jericho with a chariot.
c) A tough guy kills a thousand enemies with a donkey’s jawbone.
10. a) King David, Saint Paul, and Moses are all murderers.
b) Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are all gluttons.
c) Jesus, Mary, and Joseph are all chased by devils.
11. a) There are 613 commandments in the Hebrew Scriptures.
b) There are 61 books in the Bible.
c) There are 14 apostles in Jesus' inner circle.
12. a) Moses and Abraham meet to trade wives, but they refuse to be traded.
b) Jacob works 7 years to earn his wife, but gets the wrong girl.
c) Paul sends his wife to hear Jesus on her own, but she leaves him.
13. a) Hezekiah is a book of the Bible.
b) Amos is a book of the Bible.
c) Koran is a book of the Bible.
14. a) Mentions mummies, trolls, and crystal balls.
b) Mentions fairies, unicorns, and centaurs
c) Mentions sea dragons, unicorns, witches.
NOTE: Number 14 above is ONLY true in the King James Version ... thank you Sonshine Christian of Second Life for catching that! You may have inspired a whole new future blog on Bible versions.
15. a) A prophet lives off of only honey and yummy insect bodies.
b) A prophet is ordered by God to marry a prostitute.
c) A prophet burns 950 other prophets to a toasty crisp.
ANSWERS and where to find them in the Bible:
1. b) "I escaped with the skin of my teeth." (Job 19:20)
2. a) "Do not boil a goat in its mother's milk." (Exodus 23:19)
3. a) Noah puts seven or more of each clean animal on the ark. (Genesis 7:2)
4. c) Children get slaughtered by bears. (2 King 2:23)
5. a) A talking donkey saves a man's life. (Numbers 22:22)
6. b) A ghostly hand writes scary words on the Babylonian palace wall. (Daniel 5)
7. c) God sends dogs to eat a bad queen. (1 Kings 21:23)
8. a) The Israelites make a calf out of gold. (Exodus 32)
9. c) A tough guy kills a thousand enemies with a donkey’s jawbone. (Judges 15)
10. a) David, Paul, and Moses are all murderers. (Exodus 2, 2 Samuel 11, Acts 7)
11. a) There are 613 commandments in the Hebrew Scriptures. (The Torah)
12. b) Jacob works 7 years to earn his wife, but gets the wrong girl. (Genesis 29)
13. b) Amos is a book of the Bible. (Amos)
14. c) Mentions sea dragons, unicorns, witches. (Exodus 22, Job 41, Job 39 KJV)
15. I wanted everybody to get at least one right, so all items in 15 are true.
a) A prophet lives off of only honey and yummy insect bodies.(Matthew 3)
b) A prophet is ordered by God to marry a prostitute. (Hosea)
c) A prophet burns 950 other prophets to a toasty crisp. (1 Kings 18)